Ambrosia Mold

Growing up, Momma was all about fixing jello for dessert. Now mind you, it wasn't just the garden variety, jiggly stuff you spooned out into a bowl. She had these "fancy" parfait glasses in which she created some of the most wonderful desserts you could imagine eating. I remember her pouring jello in them and placing the glass on an angle so it would set that way. Once it was properly chilled, Momma would spoon fruit cocktail on top along with a dollop of whip cream and a cherry. And who can forget the Tupperware jello mold? I would love to find one right now. I'm sure my friend Claudia still has the one her Momma used. I tried to pass the love of jello on to my kids. However, they would have none of it to my disappointment.

When I started organizing and typing my Grandmother's recipes for a cookbook made in memory of her; I found a great selection of jello recipes...including one for coffee jello. I'm sure I ate it several times as a kid.  I'm going to share several varieties of them in case my walk down memory lane makes you want to brush the dust off  your Granny's jello mold!

Ambrosia Mold
  • 1 can (8-oz.) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 1 package (8 serving size) or 2 packages (4-serving size) Jell-O orange flavored gelatin
  • 1-3/4 cups thawed Cool Whip
  • 1 can (11 oz.) mandarin orange segments, drained
  • 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
  • 1/2 cup coconut
Drain pineapple, reserving liquid. Add cold water to liquid to measure 1 cup.
Stir boiling water into gelatin in large bowl 2 minutes or until completely dissolved. Stir in measured liquid. Refrigerate 1-1/4 hours or until slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg whites).
Stir in whipped topping with wire whisk until smooth. Refrigerate 10 minutes or until mixture will mound. Stir in oranges, pineapple, marshmallows and coconut. Spoon into 6-cup mold.
Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm. Unmold.


Comments

Popular Posts