Everyone knows how to throw cooked macaroni, melted Velveeta, butter and milk together. But what happens to it if you have any left over? It turns into a sticky blob that isn't very appetizing. With this recipe, if you have any left-overs, it's as good reheated! Once you go baked mac, you won't go back!
MAKE THE MILK SAUCE FIRST:
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps. salt
- 3/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups of whole milk
- 3-4 cups grated Colby and Monterrey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (or more)
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Milk sauce:
- 3Melt butter in a saucepan and remove from heat. Stir in flour; add salt and pepper.
Put pan back on heat and continue to stir until bubbly. Add the milk slowly, one cup
at a time. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and
simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for several minutes.
- 4Cook macaroni per package directions, drain. While pasta is hot, mix in Parmesan
cheese and 3-4 cups of the Colby and Monterrey jack cheese. Mix in white sauce.
Stir well. Pour into a casserole dish and sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over
the top. Bake until cheese on top is lightly browned.