Lauren and I were discussing my blog as she was cutting my hair today. I was sharing the story about Momma's Top Secret Potato Salad which reminded her of her Baked Potato Salad. Lauren's ingredients were similar to mine, so I thought I'd post my version. I have heard of people literally baking their potatoes, but I prefer to boil mine whole; leaving the red skins on. The name comes from what I'd load a baked potato with. My step-son Blake will eat the whole bowl by himself if you didn't watch him!
- 5 lb. bag of red potatoes
- 1 pint sour cream (you can add more if you like)
- 1-2 cups mayonnaise (not salad dressing!)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3Once you can handle the potatoes, chop into 3/4” pieces. If any of the skins come off, throw them into the bowl, too. Mix well.
- 4Add the remaining sour cream and mayonnaise until you reach a creamy consistency. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- 5**The above measurements are approximate. I add until it “looks right”. The rule of thumb is to make sure the potato salad is creamy, so add the sour cream/mayonnaise until you’re satisfied. For a little variety, stir in a little buttermilk ranch dressing!