Baked Potato Salad

 
Lauren and I were discussing my blog as she was cutting my hair today. I was sharing the story about Momma's Top Secret Potato Salad which reminded her of her Baked Potato Salad. Lauren's ingredients were similar to mine, so I thought I'd post my version. I have heard of people literally baking their potatoes, but I prefer to boil mine whole; leaving the red skins on. The name comes from what I'd load a baked potato with. My step-son Blake will eat the whole bowl by himself if you didn't watch him!

INGREDIENTS

  • 5 lb. bag of red potatoes
  • 1 pint sour cream (you can add more if you like)
  • 1-2 cups mayonnaise (not salad dressing!)
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1 bunch green onions chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste

    DIRECTIONS

    • 1
      Boil scrubbed and unpeeled whole red potatoes until you can run a knife through them easily. Immediately pour off hot water and cover with cold water (several times as needed) to cool quickly.


    • 2
      In a large bowl, dump half of the sour cream and mayonnaise, cheese, bacon, green onions and salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
    • 3
      Once you can handle the potatoes, chop into 3/4” pieces. If any of the skins come off, throw them into the bowl, too. Mix well.
    • 4
      Add the remaining sour cream and mayonnaise until you reach a creamy consistency. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
    • 5
      **The above measurements are approximate. I add until it “looks right”. The rule of thumb is to make sure the potato salad is creamy, so add the sour cream/mayonnaise until you’re satisfied. For a little variety, stir in a little buttermilk ranch dressing!

    Comments

    Popular Posts