Biscuits & Gravy

There's nothing like a plate of biscuits smothered with some pepper-sausage gravy. When I attended MTSU, going to the Cracker Barrel was a Saturday treat. That huge breakfast sustained me until the cafeteria opened back up on Sunday evening. Their gravy was to die for. I don't know what happened over the years, but there is a spice in their gravy that I have never tasted anywhere else and I just can't eat it. It doesn't taste like I remember it. Salt, pepper and the grease from some delicious sage-based sausage or even bacon. That's all you need for a good flavor. I add a little bacon grease to my skillet if the sausage doesn't generate enough. Yet another reason to not get rid of bacon grease.

Since I'm used to dumping ingredients in a bowl, I had to dig out the real recipe I make these from for exact measurements. Now, you know you’ll have to make some gravy to go with it! I never measure anything when it comes to making gravy either, so all I can do is tell you how it’s supposed to look and hopefully it’ll not be lumpy, and have a good flavor. I was taught to make this "by eye" and it hasn't failed me in almost 40 years.

INGREDIENTS
  • 4 cups self−rising flour
  • 1 tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tbsp. baking powder
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2/3 c. shortening

DIRECTIONS

  • 1
    Mix together, but do not knead. Roll out to 1" thick.
  • 2
    Cut and brush tops with additional buttermilk.
  • 3
    Place on greased cookie sheet.
  • 4
    Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
  • 5
    Fix the MILK GRAVY while the biscuits are baking.
  • 6
    Fry 1 pound of bacon or sausage in a large skillet
  • 7
    Fill up a cereal bowl or small mixing bowl 1/2" from the top with milk (about 2 cups)
  • 8
    There needs to be enough grease left so that it’s almost 1/4" deep in the skillet--just be sure the bottom is covered really well
  • 9
    Turn the heat down a little (medium)
  • 10
    **This is the tricky part
  • 11
    Whisk in around two heaping tablespoons of flour lightly scraping the bottom of the skillet for bits of bacon or sausage
  • 12
    The grease/flour mixture should be medium. Keep stirring until it's fairly lump-free.
  • 13
    If it’s too runny, add a little more flour.
  • 14
    If it’s too thick you can add in a little more grease OR using a whisk add the milk
  • 15
    Salt and pepper to taste. Crumble up a little sausage if you’d like.
  • 16
    Stir in your milk a little at a time and keep whisking until it smooths out.
  • 17
    When it starts to bubble a little and the consistency is just right, remove from heat and pour back in bowl.

Popular Posts