Chicken on the Bubba Keg

 White plate with blue flowers filled with smoked chicken thighs and legs
Wednesday night is Momma Night. We try to fix as healthy a meal as possible because she is diabetic. Have I mentioned she is a diabetic who loves sweets? Before she arrives, Blair, Andy and I kind of like guessing what she’s going to bring for dessert. Will it be her brownies with the chocolate chips, chocolate icing and grated raspberry chocolate on top? Or, her famous lemon pound cake?

Tonight she graced us with her Danish Kringler.
Danish Kringler pastry slices with icing and slivered almonds

After 25 years, I have not been able to pry that recipe from her. I’ve begged to no avail, but I won’t give up! I know I will finally wear her down…or run into a complete stranger she has given it to. This was the first one she had fixed since Daddy died; it was his favorite. The glaze is almond flavored and is covered with sliced almonds. I’m sure my neighbors would have thought I had lost my mind if they caught me standing over the sink at the kitchen window licking the icing off the aluminum foil it was wrapped in.

Back to the main feature. Andy took care of the chicken and I steamed carrots and made a salad. It featured mixed greens, carrots, red pepper, onion, grated Parmesan cheese, black olives and halved hard boiled eggs. We had a yummy Mango Poppy Seed dressing that was so good you could sip it through a straw.
Andy’s Chicken on the Bubba Keg
1 pack leg quarters (6 average sized pieces)
Durkee Grill Creations St. Louis Style Chicken and Rib Rub
Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle chicken rub on the meat. Fire up the Bubba Keg. When the heat holds consistent at 275-300 degrees, place chicken on Keg; lock down the latch and let it smoke. 
Six chicken thigh and leg portions on Bubba Keg smoker

Chicken thigh and leg portions on top rack of Bubba Keg smoker, lid open
When chicken reaches 165 degrees on a meat thermometer, it’s done! The pieces we had tonight took around 45 minutes.
Thermometer in a chicken thigh reading 170 degrees
The meat was moist and the flavor, as my Aunt Kay says, deserves 5 stars. It’s so simple anyone can do it and you have to wonder, why don’t you?






Popular Posts