Chicken Parmesan and Zucchini Pasta

Every year Andy and I say we're going to start eating healthier. The food I fix generally leans to the healthier side. His is fried and seasoned to high heaven. I like his cooking, but  we really need to back off some of that. Several months ago I purchased a "Cook Yourself Thin" cookbook. Last night I finally fixed one of the recipes. A lot of the recipes require so many different ingredients or one or two veggies that require you to buy way more of. Since we have been steaming a lot of veggies lately, that isn't a problem for me.

The book says this makes 4 servings at 350 calories per serving. It was good and we were both filled. It just makes me realize how my portion control is so out of whack.

As usual, I ended up changing a few things. I baked my chicken instead of frying it. I also coated mine with the seasoning from a Shake and Bake box Andy brought over here when he moved to town. The original recipe calls for white or wheat bread crumbs, dipping it in 1 egg white and frying in 2 teaspoons olive oil. I also used crushed tomatoes...totally forgetting the jars of plum (Roma) tomatoes I canned this summer. I won't make that mistake again!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken (we used thighs)
  • 1/4 red onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (28 oz.) can peeled plum tomatoes in juice, mashed
  • 4 zucchini (1-1/2 lbs.) trimmed at both ends
  • salt 
  • pepper
  • Ricotta cheese
FOR CHICKEN:
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
  • 1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat chicken with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Line a cooking dish with aluminum foil and place a rack in it for chicken to bake on. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Saute onion, garlic and 1/4 tsp. salt, stirring. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until veggies are soft. If they start to brown add 2 teaspoons water. Add the tomatoes , cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Season with 1/8 tsp. pepper.

Carefully using a mandolin slicer (or vegetable peeler), slice zucchini long ways into thin strips. Slice only until  you get to the seeds and discard the centers.
Pour tomato mixture into a bowl and set to the side. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to skillet and add zucchini. Cook and turn often until slightly wilted. (We like a little crunch left to our veggies). Using your tongs, twirl up 1/4 of zucchini and plate four servings.Pour some of the sauce over the veggies. Place chicken on an angle. You can add more sauce on top of chicken if you'd like and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place 1 tablespoon Ricotta cheese on side.  




Comments

Popular Posts