- 1 large Hen
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes (or 3 tsp. chicken Better than Bouillon)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 quarts of water
- 1 package large flour tortillas
- 1 can cream of chicken or celery soup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, cover hen* with 4 quarts water. Add in onion and bouillon. Bring to a rolling boil for approximately 45 minutes or until meat starts falling off the bone. Remove chicken from pot to remove bones and skin. Add can of soup to broth and continue to boil. If it’s not thick enough, you can mix 2 tbsp. cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water and add to the stock. Taste broth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Cut tortillas into 1" strips. Drop them one at a time to boiling stock.
- If you have to stir the broth, do it very carefully! Return chicken to pot.
- Carefully stir periodically. The broth will thicken and the strips will plump up the longer they simmer.
*If you use a fryer, you may have to add additional seasoning.