Easy Chicken & Dumplings

When I first moved to the South, I learned about chicken and dumplings. I went years and years without eating them. Chunks of biscuit dough cooked? Yeesh! I just couldn't imagine that it could possibly be good. When I did finally eat a bowl, I found a bone. That did it for me. I wouldn't touch them again for years.

Andy fixed some and not long after we first met and I hesitantly tried them. They tasted amazing! The secret is stewing a whole hen to get the most flavorful broth. Several years later, a lady I worked with shared another secret. She learned from some elderly church members that they quit doing the biscuit thing and substituted with cut up flour tortillas. Nobody has complained since we made that switch. I believe in keeping life simple.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 large Hen
  • 3 chicken bouillon cubes (or 3 tsp. chicken Better than Bouillon)
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 4 quarts of water
  • 1 package large flour tortillas
  • 1 can cream of chicken or celery soup
  • Salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

  • In a large stock pot, cover hen* with 4 quarts water. Add in onion and bouillon. Bring to a rolling boil for approximately 45 minutes or until meat starts falling off the bone. Remove chicken from pot to remove bones and skin. Add can of soup to broth and continue to boil. If it’s not thick enough, you can mix 2 tbsp. cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water and add to the stock. Taste broth. Add salt and pepper to taste.

    Cut tortillas into 1" strips. Drop them one at a time to boiling stock.
  •  

  • If you have to stir the broth, do it very carefully! Return chicken to pot.

  • Carefully stir periodically. The broth will thicken and the strips will plump up the longer they simmer.

    *If you use a fryer, you may have to add additional seasoning.
  •  

Popular Posts