Recently retired co-worker Jenny introduced this delightful dish to our monthly employee dinners several years ago and I've been hooked since. This is good for breakfast or a side to just about any dish you fix. The texture is smooth and the heat from the Rotel mingled with the melted cheese is to die for.
2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick cooking grits (not instant)
- 1 stick butter
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 4 oz. processed cheddar cheese, cubed (or Velveeta)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (10 oz.) can Rotel
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a saucepan, bring water and milk to boil.
3. Add salt and slowly add grits, and return to a boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
4. Reduce heat and add 1 stick of butter.
5. Cook for 3-4 minutes, while stirring, until grits are thick and creamy.
6. Remove from heat and set aside.
7. Add onions, processed cheese and 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese to grits.
8. Stir until cheese is melted.
9. Add Rotel and mix well.
10. Pour grits into a greased 8" x 11" x 2'' casserole and bake for 40 minutes.