- 1 pack of boneless, skinless chicken (breast or thighs)
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 cans chicken broth (14.5 oz. each)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz.)
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained (or 1 black & 1 pinto bean)
- 1 can yellow corn, drained
- 1 can Mexican/chili stewed tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
- 1 can chopped green chilies (4 oz.)
- 2 corn tortillas cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 tsps. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
Stew chicken in a pot until cooked through. Remove and let cool a little. With a fork, shred chicken into bite-size pieces. OR, pull chicken from rotisserie chicken.
In a large soup pot, saute onion and garlic in a very small amount of olive oil until tender. Add broth, tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, chilies, shredded chicken and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place tortilla strips on an ungreased baking pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes; or until crisp.
Pour soup into bowls and top with tortilla crisps.