Andy's Special Recipe Meatloaf

When it came to meatloaf, my kids wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole. They never could tell me why they hated it so much, but there was no amount of cajoling that would make them eat it. This was heart-breaking to me because meatloaf, mashed potatoes and peas was my favorite home-cooked meal. And leftover meatloaf sandwiches? Get outta here!!! Love them! A former co-worker Leatha brought meatloaf to work just to make sandwiches one day. We all went nuts over them.

Years down the road Andy and I were fixing supper for our blended group and he wanted meatloaf. I knew if we had mac and cheese, the boys wouldn't starve. They tried the meatloaf...a tiny bite...and went back for more. We finally figured out what they disliked so much: the ketchup baked on top! From that point on, I always put ketchup on the side.

There is an art to fixing meatloaf. You want it firm and cooked, but not dry.  One thing he does differently is to form it on a small aluminum wrap baking sheet instead of cooking in a loaf pan. It seems to cook so much more evenly.


Mix all the ingredients below and form on a pan like above. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes and check the firmness and temperature. I let it bake for an additional 20 minutes, moved it to the counter and covered it with aluminum foil. The inside was cooked perfectly, and it was moist but firm when we ate..

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 lb. hamburger meat
  • 2 cups Quick oats
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  •  Medium chopped onion
  • 3/4 of a 10 oz. can Rotel, drain extra juice

Comments

  1. I was just thinking about my favorite meatloaf recipe today and it's almost identical to your. My daughter and four of my grandchildren are going to be with us for3 months starting in October. I am so excited but I haven't cooked for that many people in ages and I'm so glad I found yours, Milne has tomato sauce over the top and it reminds him of his sisters but it is nothing like it. God bless and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, sounds like you have some excitement coming your way! I'm glad you found this recipe and can fix it for your family. There are several kid-tested recipes here that are super easy to fix. Have a great day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts