Denise's Scrambled Breakfast to Go

My favorite meal of the day has to be breakfast...on the weekends. :-) I'm one of those people who have to be up and moving and have a few cups of coffee down before I can even think about eating.
I'm not a huge fan of eating out, but if I'm running late, I will swing by Krystal's and get a bacon egg Scrambler. Their grits are about the only decent ones in town.  I had a bunch of bacon left over from preparing a wilted lettuce salad the other night and I got it in my mind I was going to recreate a Scrambler and that's what I'd be fixing in the morning.

Andy is the Breakfast King. I'm not a morning person. So you can imagine his surprise when I told him I was fixing breakfast on a work morning!

That I learned to love grits astounds me at times. As a product of the North, I don't know that they even existed up there, but I had never eaten them. My first experience eating them was not very positive. But I never gave up! I won't eat hominy, but I'll eat grits. Andy loves hominy but wouldn't touch grits until I fixed a few really good dishes with them buried in them. Go figure. 

I use Quaker or Aunt Jemina  Quick 5 Minute Grits. 
NOT THE INSTANT! THEY ARE NASTY!
I cook them on the stove...not in the microwave. Seriously? Who does that?

In a saucepan add 3 cups of water and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil. After it's boiling, slowly add 3/4 cup of grits. Stir, stir, stir! Use a whisk if you see any lumps. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Put the cover on top and let them cook for 5 minutes. Peep and stir several times. Remove from heat and add at least 1/2 stick of butter.

Evenly divide the grits into three "to go" bowls.
Scramble 4 eggs (plus 1/3 cup milk, beaten), cook them in a little butter and divide them over the grits.

Add 1 slice Kraft cheese and crumbled bacon on top. Put a lid on the bowl and let the heat from the grits and eggs melt the cheese as you are driving to work. Andy wants more eggs, less grits next time.


Comments

Popular Posts