Easy Ham and Mushroom Quiche

Breakfast riverside! Who says you can't eat well while in the wilderness? Thanks to Andy's request for a strawberry pie for his birthday, I had an extra deep pie crust in the fridge that I needed to do something with. I dug around and here's what I came up with to fix an easy, fabulous quiche! He's already told me at least four times to fix this again anytime I please!

The first time I baked a quiche was when I was in the 10th grade and I was looking for extra credit in my French class. The one I made then had onions and bacon and I received an "A". Just think of all the variations!! This is a perfect way to use up bell peppers, fresh mushrooms, sausage, bacon and more! I'm thinking the next one will consist of fresh spinach and maybe some chopped Roma tomatoes from the garden, fresh mushrooms, bacon, Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese.

I chopped 2 slices of cooked ham, about 1/4 cup Vidalia onion, along with 1 small can of sliced mushrooms and grated 1 cup of extra sharp cheddar cheese.

I preheated the little propane oven in the camper to 350 degrees. While that was going on, I made a layer of onion, mushrooms and ham in the unbaked crust.
Sprinkle about 3/4 cup of the cheese on top.

In a bowl, add 2/3 cup of milk to 6 extra large eggs. Beat well and season with a little salt and pepper. Pour about 2/3 of the egg mixture into crust. Tap the pan several times on the table so that it will settle the eggs into all the nooks and crannies.
Pour the rest of the egg mixture and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and place in oven.

Check after baking around 30 minutes. The quiche will be done when the center is set. (You don't want any runny eggs here!) If the crust starts to brown too quickly, lower the heat to 300 degrees and cover the quiche with a piece of aluminum foil.

Remove from oven and let it cool for about 10-15 minutes before eating.


Comments

Popular Posts