These Potatoes Are The Bomb!

Where's the bacon? After I began chowing down on this potato,
I realized I forgot to photograph it with the crumbled bacon!
 
Guy Fieri has mine and Andy's dream job....going around the country tasting every variety of food there is in hole in the wall dives. They may not be pretty, but the food tastes good! We have a couple of his books on the shelf but my favorite is the "Guy Fieri Food, Cookin' It, Livin' It, Lovin' It."  I have so many pages marked with sticky notes for recipes we will be fixing in very near future it's ridiculous! 

Guy's "The Bomb Bakers" was high on the list and got quickly moved to the top when Blair came in with some baking potatoes about the size of footballs. For a day or so we discussed how many hours it would take to bake these; they were so huge! The other night we were dealing with canning green beans, so I figured this would be the perfect night to fix them. 

These potatoes carry a safety warning!!!! Do not poke them with a knife, toothpick  or fork!! According to Guy, the internal steam can cause them to blow! 

That morning I got up and mixed one cup of Kosher salt in water and stirred the water until the salt dissolved. I added my potatoes and made sure they were covered. These soaked in the brine all day.  When I got home, I pre-heated the oven to 400 degrees. I took them out and dried them with a paper towel and set them to the side.

On a paper plate, mix:
  •  1/4 cup Kosher salt 
2 tablespoons each: 
  • Lawry's garlic salt with parsley 
  • Lawry's seasoned salt 
  • 1 teaspoon of black pepper. 
Rub your potatoes down in canola oil and roll in the seasonings.

Place them on a baking rack and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. (6 medium russet potatoes) These monsters took one hour ten minutes. If you can't poke them, how do you know they will be done? They'll be soft to the touch. Let them rest at least 5 minutes before you cut into them!

All I can say, is these were the best baked potatoes I've ever eaten in my life! We topped them with butter, sour cream, broccoli, shredded cheese and crumbled bacon.


Comments

Popular Posts