How To Fix Spaghetti Squash

 
Spaghetti squash is one of the most versatile vegetables I can think of. It can be the main course or prepared as a side. You can replace the pasta in just about  in any dish with this "much better for you" veggie. For years I'd see them in the produce section and walk right on by because I didn't know how to fix it. Thanks to my friend Claudia, all that changed. My favorite use is to stuff the shells with vegetables. The two I cooked up here were the last few from the garden for this season and I just opted for buttered with a little salt and pepper.

Cut the squash in half with a heavy duty knife. Be really careful because the outside is TOUGH! Drop in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 15-20 minutes. **Now I scrape the seeds out before I cook. Updated 8-16-15 DGG**
With a sturdy spoon, scoop out the seeds from the center.
Take your fork and "twist" the squash out of the shell. Season however you would season any pasta for some variety. I have used spaghetti sauce and it's wonderful. The texture is meatier than pasta so if your kids are texture-picky, you may not be able to win them over. You could always tell them their "pasta" was cooked al dente!




Comments

Popular Posts