Southwest Crock Pot Chicken

That chill in the air means one thing...time to break out the crock pot! Now that I'm arriving home a few minutes later than usual, I plan on letting my crock pot do the work while I'm working this fall and upcoming winter. When I'm gone all day long, I set the crock pot to low and out the door I go. If I'm making this on a Saturday, like a Tennessee football Saturday for instance, I stick to the directions below. Southwest Crock Pot Chicken is so easy to prepare and the ingredients should be sitting and waiting in your pantry. I let everyone spoon the amount of rice they want in the bottom of the bowl and then top it with the chicken mixture. In our household, we have some who like their bowls soupy and one who wants the "juice" to be kept to a minimum. Don't be shy with the optional toppings! A little crunch of tortilla strips and a little dollop of sour cream are my favorites.

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 cans black beans, drained
  • 2 cans Mexicorn (corn and peppers)
  • 1 can green chilies
  • 2 cans chili ready diced tomatoes
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 3-4 thigh and leg quarters
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cups Minute Rice
  • Optional: Top with tortilla strips and chopped green onions

    DIRECTIONS

    • 1
      In a slow cooker, place chicken on the bottom, top with beans, tomatoes, corn and peppers, green chilies, onion and seasonings. Cook on high for 5 hours.
    • 2
      Turn crock pot to warm.
    • 3
      Remove chicken. Let cool. Remove meat from bone. Put chicken back in slow cooker.
    • 4
      Prepare rice to serve with chicken.

    Comments

    Popular Posts