Tricia's Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup

Over the years, I found people who may only spend a brief period in your life are the very ones who will leave a life-long lasting impression. Tricia Baker is one of those people. She  has been an awesome co-worker and has made the last 5 months of my life quite enjoyable. She also fixes some kick-butt spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup that were it any easier, she'd have to do your breathing for you. And she'd straighten you out about that real quick like! We work in an fairly small open office environment so it's easy to get to know someone pretty well in that setting and I'm thankful that everyone was easy to get along with and like, even Eddie, who didn't share our political views.

A few days before Christmas, the upstairs bunch decided to fix a little lunch feast as a happy send-off for the shut-down week. Tricia fixed this incredible recipe while we were all working. While it was slow-cooking in the crock pot, we were going nuts because it smelled so good. The taste was out of this world and well-worth the wait. She shared the recipe and I couldn't wait to fix it. Since I'm not a fan of red kidney beans, I substituted mine with white and if you've followed this blog long enough, you know I'm using thighs instead of the chicken tenders Tricia used. However, I loved this exactly as she fixed it, but I know how my bunch is...Blair is particular about beans and Andy is particular about chicken. I have another variation that is very good and quite similar, but this is so simple, I may forget about the other.

Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
  • 2 cans cannelli beans (white kidney beans), drained
  • 2 cans black beans, drained
  • 2 cans corn, drained
  • 2 cans of chili seasoned diced tomatoes
  • 2 cans chicken broth
  • ½-1 package taco seasoning
  • 1 package (about 6-8 pcs) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • Tortilla chips
Pour all ingredients except the chicken into a crock pot and mix well. Lay chicken thighs on top.
Cook on high for 4-5 hours. Remove chicken and shred. Return to crock pot. Set to warm. Let chicken heat through. 

***I crush up my chips in the bottom of the bowl and added a dollop of sour cream to the top. 

Comments

Popular Posts