Andy's Annual 4th of July Goat Stew

I know. I can hear you cringing as you read the title. Goat Stew? OMG? Who would eat a goat?

For as many years as I can remember, with the exception of 2012, Andy has fixed a goat stew every single Fourth of July. There are a few traditional dishes that come about after the "Cooking of the Goat" on July 3rd. July 4th breakfast is goat hash and there has to be a pot of stew at the end of the day.

All I can say is, don't knock it until you try it. In the south, I have seen people lined up for a pretty good stretch to purchase a quart of goat stew at a fund-raiser and willing to pay WHATEVER. Word to wise: Bring a quart Mason jar! Let me spare you some shame. It's just common knowledge that if you are buying it "to go" you better come prepared. And let me tell you, I've seen people try to get their hands on several jars to go and it be rationed. That stuff goes fast! If you do happen on a goat stew and see the line I'm talking about,  you can rest assured you'll be eating good. A public goat stew will only be cooked by some fellow from down in the hollow (or similar situation) that's been fixing a cauldron of this stuff since his Grandaddy taught him how. They are legends!
I'm not going to tell you it tastes like chicken. It doesn't. It has its own unique flavor and it's actually pretty good. We were told by one newbie on a 4th of July at the river that they thought they landed in "Redneck hell" when they found out that the breakfast meat was goat. They all laugh and pretty much eat it up.

The amount of stew we make always depends on the size of the goat and how much meat Andy holds back for the goat hash.

In a large pot add:
1 can of carrots
1 chopped onion
2 cans of whole kernel corn ( I used one each of white and yellow)
3 or so diced potatoes
Cooked and shredded goat meat*
Broth the goat was cooked in
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring mixture to a boil. Cook until potatoes are tender. Serve with cornbread or hoecakes.

*It's hard to give the exact quantities on the potatoes and goat as this varies every year.

Comments

Popular Posts