Pear Preserves Without Pectin

See? I told you I have been busy!! I like to compare pear preserves to something more along the lines of a fruity sauce/gravy for your biscuits or to top vanilla ice cream with. It's a little runny, but all the better to sop up with your biscuit. I backed off a little on the sugar. Every jar I've been gifted with has been so over the top sugary sweet I felt like I need to knock out a gallon water after one bite.

You know how you see pear trees loaded down everywhere and nobody does anything with them? This won't knock a huge dent, but it will be worth your time and effort. Any left, be sure to vacuum seal for future use in a pear cobbler. Just use this peach cobbler recipe and substitute with pears. Mmmm! Talk about good eating! When it comes to pears, I'm so picky it's ridiculous. I won't eat a store-bought pear. There's just something artificial about the smooth, non-gritty meat of them that turns me off.

INGREDIENTS:
12 cups of peeled and chopped pears (remove any spots)
5-1/2 cups of sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
 Dump your chopped pears into a large pot.
 Stir in the sugar and spices and mix well.
 Turn the eye on to medium heat and stir frequently.
 Once it starts to bubble, turn heat down slightly and let it simmer for around two hours.
 Remove the foam from the top of the fruit.
Ladle into sterilized jars (wipe rim and seal with sterilized lids and rings) leaving 1/4" head space. This made 10 jelly jars of pear preserves. I sealed them with the hot bath method and let them process for 10 minutes. Be sure your jars seal properly before storing them. If they don't seal, refrigerate and use.

Comments

  1. Tried this recipe in the fall of 2020 when the pear trees in our community were simply loaded. I’m not an experienced canner but these turned our perfectly! Love this recipe and our neighbors are raving about the results!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts