Chicken and Garden Vegetable Shish Kabobs

My friend Lisa P., who is quick draw on the comments, had me rolling when I posted this picture to Facebook with the comment "Shish Kabobs...it's what's for supper when you don't catch any fish. #itsallgood". "Well shish, no fish" was her quick witted reply. That comment spurred round after round of hilarious posts.

Andy and I had spent parts of the day fishing and had some pretty pathetic luck. Ok. We did sleep in and got a late start and it was hotter than all get out. For you folks who don't live in the South, 95+ degrees and humidity normally warrants another "hotter than" comparison, but I'm trying to be polite here. I did get a nice tan that day, enjoyed quality time with the hubs and wasn't losing too much sleep because I knew I had a bunch of veggies from the garden and some chicken breasts.Voila! A quick dinner and quite healthy. The only thing missing was the vat of rice we normally serve with this. I've been seeing comments about "ricing" cauliflower as a substitute and will go there the next time. There's no telling what Lisa will say about that. She is forever posting pictures of candy filled pies and the like and asking me to fix a "healthy" version for her.

There is no right or wrong way to fix shish kabobs. We use whatever we have on hand. If we run out of something? We just add a little more of something else. If you use the wooden skewers, soak them for about 30 minutes in water. It'll help keep them from catching on fire.

We stacked zucchini, yellow squash, onion, green pepper, cherry tomatoes and chicken breast cubed into 1" chunks. Sprinkle your favorite seasoning on one side. Our favorite go-to's are Lawry's Garlic Salt (lime green top) and Cavender's Greek seasoning.
Place the skewers on a medium grill and lightly spray a little Alabama Dixie sauce our friend Joel Peters makes. In our humble opinion, it beats all the others on the market. Andy and I are due a trip to Loretto, TN to buy a gallon (it's that good). Turn every so often and be careful to not overcook. As always, make sure that chicken gets done!

Comments

Popular Posts