Brussels Sprouts Gratin

We love, love, love Brussels sprouts! Those "baby cabbages" baked in a cheesy, creamy sauce were a huge hit at Thanksgiving. Everyone, and I mean everyone ate them and liked them. The first time I fixed them, I followed this recipe floating on Pinterest loosely. It was good but a little dry. Again, no one complained and the whole casserole dish was practically gone before I got a bite! The second time I added a little more cream. Be sure to experiment. We usually buy the 24 oz. bag of frozen brussel sprouts from Wal-Mart instead of the fresh. I am all about easy and these are just as good.

INGREDIENTS:
24 oz. bag frozen Brussels sprouts
4-8 oz. heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 to 1 cup of Colby Jack shredded cheese*
1/2 to 1 cup of Mozzarella shredded cheese
1/2 cup of bread crumbs or crushed buttery crackers (optional)

* Use whatever shredded cheese you have available. That's what I do.

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray (or butter) a 2 quart baking dish.

Cook the Brussels sprouts per the directions on the package. Drain the water and quarter them once you can handle them. Spread the pieces evenly in the baking dish. Season with salt and pepper. Evenly pour the cream over the sprouts. Do this by eye. You don't want to float them but you want this to be a creamy dish. Cover the top with the cheese. If you want to include the optional bread crumbs, spread on top of the cheese. We are still watching the carbs, so I left them out the second time.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Comments

Popular Posts