Crock Pot Mexican Stuffed Peppers



You've just got to love a crock pot. What else does all the hard work for you and produces such wonderful results every time? Angie came in the office the other day telling me about some Mexican stuffed peppers she made and they sounded so good. Recipe please??? Pinterest. I logged on that night and found a recipe from Chef Savvy to get the general ingredients, etc.I figured it couldn't be very different from fixing the regular stuffed peppers I normally fix, but with a Mexican flair.
I made mine a slightly different than hers, for example, I added more enchilada sauce and used canned corn instead of frozen and uncooked rice. I was pleased with the results. The only complaint was I had half a can of corn and black beans left over. Just toss them in any other casserole or soup you're fixing and problem solved.

Ingredients
Colored bell peppers—enough to fit your crock pot (I used 7 small to medium)
1 pound lean ground beef
1 cup instant rice
1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup corn
1 red enchilada sauce pack, prepared
1 cup shredded cheese
½ tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Suggested Toppings
Sour cream
Shredded cheese
Salsa (My favorite is World Table Roasted Salsa Verde)
Reserved enchilada sauce
Cilantro

DIRECTIONS:
Prepare enchilada sauce per pack directions, set to the side.
Cut the tops off the peppers, deseed.
In a large bowl, mix the beef and seasonings. Blend in the rice and 3/4 cup of the enchilada sauce.
Next add the beans and corn and blend well. 

Line your crock pot with a liner to make clean up a breeze. Put a layer of the enchilada sauce on the bottom. Fill each pepper with the beef mixture and space peppers evenly.
Spoon a little extra enchilada sauce over the top of each pepper. Cover and set temperature to high. Cook for two to three hours or until peppers are tender. You can cook this longer on low, but my crock pot takes low and slow to the extreme. More like low and it might be ready by bedtime. High seems to work perfect for me.
Serve up with your favorite toppings. We froze the leftovers and reheated them for another night and they were still delicious!


Recipe Credit: Chef Savvy

Comments

Popular Posts