Baked Tomatoes

Andy just came in from "dusting" the garden and told me if the weather holds out and doesn't go off the deep end, I'll be canning tomatoes for a week.

Our crop last year didn't fare well. The tomatoes were kind of meh. They were better than store bought when we had a few but not enough to can what I would have liked to. I thought about the baked tomatoes I fixed one night and couldn't remember if I had posted them or not. Since I stay perpetually behind on my posts (something I hope to change soon), I sure enough found them in my TO DO folder.
We just came in from planting another row of squash and cucumbers and keep finding proof that the deer are still having a field day eating anything green. With the recent lack of rain; I almost understand.
 Well, they just strolled through and started eating everything in sight. Not good.
The cucumbers are finally bouncing back.
 And it looks like my green beans have recovered from the massive deer destruction.
Thankfully, the squash weren't harmed. I can't wait for our first plate of fried squash.
Enough already! Let me get to the main point of the post!
Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking dish with aluminum foil to make clean up a breeze. Peel the skins off and core medium to large tomatoes. Season with cracked black pepper and  garlic salt to taste.
 Top with shredded Parmesan cheese.
 Okay, so this doesn't look fancy, but I chunk up a couple slices of Provolone cheese and cover the tomato.
Bake about 20-30 minutes or until the tomato is tender and the cheese is totally melted with a tinge of brown.

Comments

Popular Posts