Squash and Zucchini Casserole

Summer 2016 will go down in our books as the "Summer of Squash." It is now August and we are stilling picking squash from the same plants. For us, this is unheard of. We've always planted a second time to get us through the summer. Amazingly, the deer have chose to totally ignore the summer squash. Unfortunately, my spaghetti squash and zucchini were not afforded the same treatment. Remember in the movie Forrest Gump where Forrest and Bubba are on the bus and Bubba was listing all the different ways to prepare shrimp? Well, you now have an idea of what we have gone through this summer.

Here's a simple layered casserole that has made it to the table several times this summer. We are totally in love with Mr. Spice House Salt-Free Seasoning (even though I did use a little salt with this dish). This seasoning was a special order courtesy of a friend of mine sending me a gift certificate. I have used it on steamed carrots, broccoli and more.

I'm not giving exact amounts of anything on this because I just used whatever veggies I had on hand and seasoned each layer as I built it. One stick of butter was thinly sliced and distributed through the layers.
INGREDIENTS:
Squash and/or zucchini
1 medium sweet onion
Season to taste
1 stick of butter
Shredded cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Slice all vegetables. Break the onion slices up. Make one layer of squash/zucchini and onions. Season to taste. Randomly place butter slices on top of veggies.
 Repeat layers until casserole dish is full.
Top with shredded cheese. (I used Colby-Jack) Cover with aluminum foil.
Bake in preheated oven. Check after 30 minutes. Vegetables should be cooked, but not mushy and cheese melted. Bake longer if necessary.

I served this with grilled country style ribs and fresh sliced tomatoes from the garden. 

Comments

Popular Posts