Peach Whisky and Wine Chicken


One Sunday morning I was watching Ree Drummond make her Peach Whisky Barbecue Chicken and my mouth watered the whole time. I was mentally going through all the ingredients and thought we had just about everything to make it in the pantry and freezer. Her recipe can be found here.  This dish was one of the best ones I've made and will be served again and again.

Do you know what I loved the most? I was able to use my Reduced Sugar Peach Jam, fresh peaches off the tree and substituted part of the whisky with some of my brother-in-law's homemade wine.

Now this recipe requires a little more effort, but as you can see from the pictures below, it was still easy to make. I didn't add the chopped fresh parsley or green onions when it was served. That pop of color would definitely been prettier but I was just using what I had on hand.

INGREDIENTS:
1 pack of chicken thighs (We had 16 small thighs in our pack)
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 sweet onion, chopped
3/4 cups Canadian Hunter whisky
3/4 cups wine (I used a homemade orange-pineapple wine)
1 17oz. bottle of Carolina Style barbecue sauce
1/2 17oz. bottle of Kansas City Classic barbecue sauce
1 cup Peach preserves
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Fresh sliced peaches (wash and leave the skins on)

Serve the prepared dish over prepared mashed potatoes. (Potatoes mashed with butter, milk, sour cream and salt and pepper to taste)
In a large stove/oven-safe pot, brown both sides of the chicken thighs in the butter and olive oil in batches. Let the oven be pre-heating to 300 degrees.
 Set the browned chicken to the side.
 I measured out all of my wet ingredients as the chicken was cooking.
 Once the chicken was browned, I added the chopped onions to the pot and sauteed them until transparent.
 Add in the wet ingredients. Be extra careful when cooking with any type of alcohol!!!
Whisk until well blended.
 Add the chicken back to the pot.
 Top with the fresh sliced peaches.
 Cover the pot and place in the oven.
Bake for around 1-1/2 hours. If the chicken starts to fall off the bone when you lift a piece out of the pot, it will be juicy and ready to eat!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts