Friday, May 19, 2017

Buttermilk "Oven Fried" Chicken aka Cornflake Crust Baked Chicken

I was looking over a recipe book Carolyn brought in when we were preparing for the Library's Taste and Tell II program when I ran across this recipe from The Skinnytaste Cookbook. One of the titles caught my eye and I immediately thought about my Grandmother Gaudette.

Growing up in Connecticut, I remember a trip to the lake where my Great-Uncle Arthur and Great-Aunt Betty had a cabin. Me, my siblings and all my Holmes cousins always had a lot of fun playing together. This is where I first learned about an "outhouse." Who knew such a thing existed?


Grandma Gaudette would have a cooler full of her cornflake crust chicken legs packed. There was nothing better than sitting on a sandy beach, outside, eating cold chicken legs and whatever sides. As an adult, I can't imagine eating food anywhere near sand. Yeeesh!

When I inherited her recipe file after she left this world for her heavenly home; I was hoping I 'd find her recipe. I was sadly disappointed as it wasn't in there. Since then, I've repeated this story countless times so you can imagine how happy I was to find this recipe. I tweaked the spices to reflect what I had in my pantry and it was quite tasty. I didn't remove the skin as the original recipe recommended, so I'll leave that up to you. I did fix a double recipe but I have this broke down for a "normal" serving.

CHICKEN INGREDIENTS:


  • 8 chicken legs
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • ½ tsp smoky paprika
  • ½ tsp poultry seasoning
  • ½ tsp garlic salt with parsley
  • ⅛ tsp black pepper
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • cooking spray

  • The recipe called for the chicken to soak in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours or overnight. I had around 2 hours. Rinse and season the chicken with the salt, paprika, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper. Pour the buttermilk and lemon juice over the chicken and coat well. I stirred this concoction several times.

    COATING INGREDIENTS:




    • ⅔ cup panko bread crumbs
    • ½ cup crushed cornflake crumbs
    • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    • 1½ teaspoons sea salt
    • 1½ teaspoons smoky paprika
    • ½ teaspoon onion powder
    • ½ teaspoon garlic salt with parsley

    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a baking sheet, mix coating ingredients
    Prepare a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and a rack sprayed with cooking oil.
    Time to get rolling!
    Roll chicken legs until they are nicely coated.
    Place on rack and lightly spray with cooking spray.
    Cook for 40-45 minutes. My oven is a little slow, so I went with 45 minutes.
    170 degrees. Whoops! 40 minutes minutes would have probably been fine. However, that extra 5 degrees didn't hurt them one bit. The crust was crunchy and the meat was moist and tender.
    We enjoyed this plate of chicken with Grandma's Cucumbers, mashed potatoes and corn.

    2 comments:

    1. Kids love this, so does me. Good to see an easy recipe with us, going to try this out. Thank you for sharing the recipe with us

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love this and will serve this recipe in front of any special day at home. Would you please see over here to write my essay about the various recipes.

      ReplyDelete