Italian Wedding Soup

Every month we have an employee birthday celebration at work. This month's theme is soup. Italian Wedding Soup is probably at the top 5 of my all time favorites. I get so many requests for the recipe, it's got to be the first I share.

 

*UPDATED 1-25-14 (PHOTOS)

I had some really good help in my kitchen the other night when I was making Italian Wedding Soup. My 3-year-old granddaughter Emilee Rae wanted to be my big helper and I figured it's never too soon to teach a child to cook...especially when they ask to help. 


How to you get a child to eat spinach and other veggies they normally wouldn't try?
Let them help you cook!!

INGREDIENTS

Meatballs*:
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
  • 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 3 tbsp. minced onion
  • Mix and shape into 3/4" meatballs.
In a large pot add:
  • 2 1/2 quarts chicken broth
  • 1 bag fresh spinach rinsed and sliced
  • 2 cups seashell or bow-tie pasta (or more)
  • 1 large bag of matchstick carrots
  • Bring to a boil and start dropping in the meatballs
*Frozen Italian meatballs can be substituted if you don't have time to make them.

DIRECTIONS

  • 1
    Cook at a slow boil for around 10 minutes or until pasta is tender and meatballs are cooked through.
  • 2
    Serve with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top and garlic bread.

    Garlic bread is great to dip in the flavorful broth!!

Popular Posts