Make the meatballs first. While they’re baking, put the sauce together and then put the cooked meatballs in the sauce and let them simmer for a couple of hours.
Meatballs Ingredients: (Makes about 30 meatballs)
- 2 lb. hamburger
- 1 lb. sausage
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Minced onion & garlic (to suit you)
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoned bread crumbs to bind (about 1 cup or so)
In a large bowl mix all ingredients until blended. Roll out about 1-1/2” meatballs and place on large baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 20-25 minutes. When the meat starts to separate, they’re done. Drop into pot of spaghetti sauce and let simmer for a few hours.
- 2 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 3 (16 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- ½-1 whole onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup white wine (good drinking wine)
- 4 tsps. sugar
- Season with salt, pepper & Italian seasoning to taste
- 1/3 c. Parmesan cheese
- Fresh mushrooms, sliced (or 1 small can)
- Bell pepper, sliced
Saute onion (and optional veggies) in olive oil in a large pot. Season onions with salt and pepper as they’re cooking. Pour in all other ingredients except parmesan cheese. Add Italian seasoning to taste.
Simmer for a few hours with meatballs. Stir occasionally. Add the Parmesan cheese to the sauce the last 30 minutes.