Doo Doo Cookies

Properly known as...Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
I think some of the best cooks start with a recipe and then make it their own. But there are just some things in life that are so perfect that you follow the instructions to a T. This version is and it’s the only one I’ll ever use.

The first time I heard about this particular dessert was from my kids when they were toddlers. The lady who kept them used to make these delicious cookies. All the kids called them “doo doo” cookies, but the proper name is Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies.
Over the years, there were numerous attempts by me to remake what Rene made for the boys. Sadly, mine looked worse than doo doo! Many years later, a co-worker, Alan, would share the most incredible doo doo cookies with us. Each and every time they were perfect. One year he made me a single cookie that measured at least a foot across for my birthday. I thought I had died and gone to heaven and was thankful I didn’t fall into a sugar coma. And yes, I did share with everyone! He was kind enough to share his recipe and now they turn out perfect every time.

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. baking cocoa
  • 1/2 c. milk (we prefer whole, but don’t use less than 2%)
  • 2 1/2 c. quick oats (cooks in one minute)
  • 1/2 c. smooth peanut butter
  • 2 tsp. vanilla flavoring
  • 1 stick unsalted butter (they claim you can use margarine, but why take a chance?) 
  • *Alan did tell me after he gave me the recipe that he always freezes his butter. I think it really makes a difference too. It must have something to do with the extra time it takes to melt/blend.

DIRECTIONS

  • 1
     1. Mix sugar and baking cocoa in two quart sauce pan. MIX WELL.
  • 2
    2. Add milk and stick of frozen butter and bring to a rolling boil for two minutes.
    STIR CONSTANTLY SO IT DOESN’T BURN. Plant your self firmly in front of the
    stove! It makes me think of rich, thick and creamy dark chocolate pudding just
    as it’s starting to boil--and NO I don’t mean that instant stuff you stir with milk
    and slap in the fridge!
  • 3
    3. Remove from heat and add vanilla flavoring and CONTINUE TO STIR!
  • 4
    4. Add peanut butter and STIR IN COMPLETELY.
  • 5
    5. Add oats and also STIR IN COMPLETELY.
  • 6
    6. Spoon one heaping spoonful onto wax paper. Allow to cool. HIDE FROM
    YOUR KIDS! I like to place the wax paper sheets on a baking sheet to quickly
    set them. Plus they're delicious cold on a hot day.
  • 7
    SPECIAL NOTES: You CANNOT make this recipe with light ingredients or skim
    anything. THEY WILL NOT HARDEN. Now is not the time to be chintzy with the calories! In my opinion, whole milk and real butter are the only choice and will make some really rich cookies.
  • 8
    Be sure to have a full gallon of milk on hand!

Comments

  1. Just tried to make these cookies for the first time ever and followed the recipe to the letter. They turned out sooo dry! Couldn't even get them to stick together to form cookies. Think it was way too much oats. Any suggestions for next time?
    -Greenejeans77

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear this. I made a batch today to carry to work tomorrow and they turned out perfect. The only thing I can think of is, "what kind of oats did you use?" I use Quaker 1 minute oats. They are ground up a little more than the regular oats. The night before I make them, I put a stick of real butter in the freezer. Did you do that also? I've never used margarine, so I want to rule that out. It almost sounds like the milk was left out? I'm wracking my brain here because this is normally a pretty moist mixture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts