Jimmy's Homemade Cough Syrup

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE!

What holiday season would be complete without half the family sick with the flu, a cold or a combination of both? The extremely warm winter we've been experiencing this year seems to have spurred on viruses and assorted other illnesses to the extreme.

Well, wouldn't you know it? About two weeks ago I jokingly said I was going to mix up some cough syrup for the cough I didn't yet have and lo and behold...the next day it hit me.
A man I work with, Jimmy, had been telling me all about his homemade remedy that he swore was sure to cure any cough. After listening to the list of ingredients and realizing I had everything I needed to whip up a batch, I went home and mixed up a pint jar. Now, I will admit that it didn't cure my cough but it sure helped considerably. With sinus issues and a sore throat that would make a grown person cry on top of the cough, this homemade concoction did seem ease the worst coughing spells.

In a pint jar drop 15 soft peppermint balls (or 6 King Leo stick peppermint).

Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice.

 Add 2 oz. honey.
 Leaving about 1/2" head space, fill the jar with smooth Canadian whiskey. (I used Canadian Hunter).
Let the peppermint dissolve and gently shake every so often to mix ingredients thoroughly.
 You will end up with a  nice red syrup that will help calm a rough cough. WARNING: I only used it at night. I can only imagine the alcohol content that comes in over-the-counter cough syrup is worse, but I wasn't going to test that theory by driving with this stuff in my system.


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. 1 tbsp.-2 tbsp. Depending on how bad I feel. Do not drive with alcohol in your system please. I use this at bedtime only. Thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  2. I am recovering from bronchitis, this got me through the night! I also made it with lemon hard candies, lemon, honey and bourbon!! Wish I could take it to work with me!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love lemon and the next batch will have that. Great idea!! I hope you get well soon! Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some 180 proof moonshine I want to use instead of whiskey. Will this work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried that substitution. However, anytime we want to make a change to a recipe, we make a small batch to test. Let me know how it works out. LOL! 180 proof will put a stop to a lot of things. :-) Merry Christmas Aunt Chevy!

      Delete
    2. Yes! The original recipe for cough syrup called for Dixie Corn whiskey, which is Moonshine. I usually use moonshine but when money is tight, I use any whiskey. Honestly, the only difference I can tell is the fact that moonshine gets you tipsy much faster. But in the cough syrup and how it works, there's really no difference.

      Delete
  5. My grandmother used moonshine in hers. She was definitely our go to pharmacy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Should it be refrigerated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't refrigerated in the past, but I imagine you could. That would welcome if you had a sore throat.

      Delete
  7. Great blog, it was very useful to know that we can make cough syrup at home also.
    I was using one product adulsa cough syrup which is made by Sheetal Herbal. There products are very useful and effective.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best way to get rid of bad cough is through avoiding foods that may increase the problem of cough.Other ways that you can try are drinking boiled and cooled water.Gargling daily with a glass of mater mixed with salt.I suggest you Home remedies for cough through this you get instant of knowledge about How do you get rid from cough .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is this supposed to be thick? Because mine most definitely is not

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ve made this before and it works. I now have another cold and cough lost my recipe thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love lemon and the next batch will have that, buy you also try some cough candy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. Wockhardt cough syrup for sale

    ReplyDelete
  13. How long should it “ rest” before you use it? I couldn’t get the shine- so I used peppermint schnapps instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd let it sit about a week to give the peppermint time to dissolve. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Do you have any idea on the shelf life? I made mine last year with my left over canes and still looks, smells and well tastes ok but I was afraid to take much. Probably just weaker. I would think the alcohol would be a protective ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t know the shelf life, but I haven't ever felt like it ruined due to the alcohol. :-)

      Delete
  15. Can I sub in 80 proof vodka?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only ever used bourbon or whiskey. Not sure if vodka would be a good substitute.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts