Fried Potato Cakes Using Leftover Mashed Potatoes

When I fix mashed potatoes, I figure on one medium potato per person. Typically, that is enough to feed everyone and not have half a pot left over. Every once in a while, that count doesn't happen and we end up with enough potatoes  that you hate to throw them away but not enough to eat the next day. I don't remember who came up with the solution, but fried potato cakes are the perfect leftover solution! They're easy to fix and you should have everything on hand.

Since the quantity left over always varies, I measure everything by eye. I'm going for a mixture that is firm enough to pat out but not dry.

In a medium bowl mix: chopped onion, left over mashed potatoes, one beaten egg and enough corn meal to bind all the ingredients together.

In a large skillet, heat enough canola oil to cover the bottom on medium. Form 2" to 3" potato cakes and drop them in the hot oil. When you see the bottom is starting to brown nicely, turn them.
Cook the second side until it is browned also. Remove to a paper towel lined plate.


Comments

  1. I made these last night with fried pork chops and they were really good. Every thing held up well and they had a very nice color to them. I will definitely make them again. Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed them! We love it when have leftover potatoes because we know what's on the menu soon! ��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts