I think the benefits of broccoli take away the bad of all the cheese in this totally delicious soup. The only way this could be any easier to fix would be to open up a can of already prepared soup. The two longest prep steps are cubing the cheese and waiting on it to melt. This doesn't take long to fix, but keep a close watch to prevent it from sticking to the pot. Fresh broccoli can be substituted, but the frozen is actually not bad. Spring is not quite here and a bowl of this is perfect on a cold evening.
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tbsp. Flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 oz. (1/2 of an 8 oz. Pkg.) cream cheese, cubed
- ½ lb. (8 oz.) Velveeta cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 pkgs. (10 oz. each) frozen chopped broccoli, cooked, drained
- ¼ tsp. Allspice
- 1/8 tsp. Black pepper
- In a large saucepan on medium-high, cook onion in butter until crisp tender.
- Whisk in flour until well blended.
- Add milk; cook and stir on medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add cream cheese. Stir and cook until cream cheese is melted.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook until heated through. Stir frequently until cheese is melted.