Southern Fried Poutine

This past September, I spent a week in Arborg, Manitoba training for my new job. The week in Canada was fun and quite filling. It was there I got to experience the well-known dish Poutine. I ate it twice at the Chicken Chef. Their fried chicken was actually pretty good. Not being a snob or anything, but fried chicken is a staple in the South. The Chicken Chef gravy was a little more on the brown side. I didn't have the fresh stock to make homemade gravy, so I cheated and bought a jar of  Heinz Home Style Classic Chicken Gravy. My intention was to add 1/8 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet until I reached the right flavor/color. But straight out of the jar was pretty good so I let it be this time.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 12 oz. jar of chicken gravy
  • 20 oz. bag of skinny french fries
  • Mozzarella cheese
In a large skillet, cover the bottom with 1/4" canola oil. Let it get hot (350 degrees)! Pour the whole bag of fries in the skillet and spread them out evenly. Let the oil come to a good sizzle again and set the timer for 8 minutes. Sprinkle a little salt on top. Let them be until the timer goes off. Turn all the fries and let them cook another 8 minutes. Move to paper-lined plates to drain well.

While the fries are doing their thing, in a small saucepan, heat up the gravy.

When everything is fried and/or hot: Put a pile of fries on your plate, spoon gravy over the top and sprinkle Mozzarella cheese on top. Pop into the microwave long enough to melt the cheese. Dig in!!



Comments

Popular Posts