Southern Fried Poutine

This past September, I spent a week in Arborg, Manitoba training for my new job. The week in Canada was fun and quite filling. It was there I got to experience the well-known dish Poutine. I ate it twice at the Chicken Chef. Their fried chicken was actually pretty good. Not being a snob or anything, but fried chicken is a staple in the South. The Chicken Chef gravy was a little more on the brown side. I didn't have the fresh stock to make homemade gravy, so I cheated and bought a jar of  Heinz Home Style Classic Chicken Gravy. My intention was to add 1/8 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet until I reached the right flavor/color. But straight out of the jar was pretty good so I let it be this time.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 12 oz. jar of chicken gravy
  • 20 oz. bag of skinny french fries
  • Mozzarella cheese
In a large skillet, cover the bottom with 1/4" canola oil. Let it get hot (350 degrees)! Pour the whole bag of fries in the skillet and spread them out evenly. Let the oil come to a good sizzle again and set the timer for 8 minutes. Sprinkle a little salt on top. Let them be until the timer goes off. Turn all the fries and let them cook another 8 minutes. Move to paper-lined plates to drain well.

While the fries are doing their thing, in a small saucepan, heat up the gravy.

When everything is fried and/or hot: Put a pile of fries on your plate, spoon gravy over the top and sprinkle Mozzarella cheese on top. Pop into the microwave long enough to melt the cheese. Dig in!!



Comments