Death Corn Five

I first heard of Death Corn Five when I read one of the books by the Sweet Potato Queens from Jackson, Mississippi. After I quit laughing about how it got its name, I thought, "man, this stuff sounds good!" After fixing it a million times, I have to admit I prefer using the Mahatma brand instead of the recommended Zatarain's Yellow Rice. I just think it tastes better. What I love most is you can whip up a one or two batches of this stuff, freeze it and it take it out in emergencies and people will swear you just fixed it.

Two Thanksgivings ago I fixed a double batch of Death Corn Five. It sat on Momma's counter looking all yellow, bright and cheerful and my family (I'm referring to siblings and nieces  and nephews) avoided it like it had the cooties. In hindsight, I realized those microscopic specs of red peppers were scaring them off.

Never one to give up, I brought a single dish of this to a Welcome Home party for my niece's husband Shane who serves our country as a Marine. Well, what do you know? My sister's co-worker went back for second and thirds and just had to have the recipe. That got everyone good and riled up and willing to try it. They loved it and now it's a standard, just like mashed potatoes and gravy, at all the important family meals.
  • 1 small bag Mahatma Yellow Rice
  • 1 can Mexican corn
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup (chicken is my favorite)
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese (plus extra for top)
Cook rice first per package directions. Mix all other ingredients in a large bowl. 
 

Mix in the cooked rice. 

Pour into a small casserole dish. Sprinkle with more cheese.

 Bake approximately 20 minutes at 350-400 degrees or until bubbly.


Popular Posts