Chicken and Dressing

I had some meat left over from roasting a hen the other night and I knew it was going to be part of tonight's menu. After working all day at the river, I didn't want to spend a ton of time in the kitchen. I had a vacuum sealed pack of crumbled cornbread in the deep freezer and the stock I saved and froze from roasting the hen. So I thought chicken and dressing would be perfect!
When I don't have a supply in the freezer, I just make a big skillet of cornbread (Just double the recipe.) No chicken stock? I love chicken flavored "Better than Bouillon" to make broth. Just add 1 tsp. per cup of water and you'd think it was the real thing.

In a large bowl, finely crumble 7-8 cups of cornbread.

Shred 5 cups of chicken. I use both the white and dark meat. Set to the side.

Hard boil, peel and chop four large eggs. I like to use my egg slicer and cut both ways.

Chop 1 small sweet onion.

Combine cornbread, eggs, onions, 1 tsp. each of salt and pepper and 2 tsp. poultry seasoning.

Mix ingredients well.

Start with 3 cups of chicken broth. Add more if necessary. I like to take my spoon and smooth out the mixture. If moisture comes to the top. It's right. It took me fixing this several times to get a good visual of what to look for. You don't want it soupy, but if there isn't enough broth, it'll be too dry. Once you get the right mixture, add the shredded chicken and work it through until blended well.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour in a 9x13 casserole dish. Bake for approximately 25 minutes. If the top starts to set too quickly and it doesn't have the color you are looking for; (see picture at the top) you can always set your oven to broil to lightly brown the top. Watch carefully!








Comments

Popular Posts