Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches



When the weather is like it has been the past few weeks, I'm literally pulled to the outdoors. Working in an office with no windows to the outside world makes for a long day. The minute I walk out the front door, I can't wait to get home and have some time outside with Andy. Whether it's fooling with the garden or trimming shrubs...I don't care...I'm loving some fresh air!



As the days get nicer, I like fixing food that is quick, easy or can be working for me while I'm working. Between browsing Pinterest, emails and general comments between friends about food, Crock Pot French dip Philly cheese steak sandwiches have been the rave. A couple of weeks ago, I zero'd in on one emailed from the Just A Pinch Recipe Club and I thought I'd give it a try when Momma came over last night. I was a little disappointed that the recipe had absolutely no measurements for the spices. It would have helped to have a starting point so I could decide which way to go. I also don't keep Emeril's Essentials on hand and since there wasn't a measurement, I let it go. I thought it turned out very well. Momma loved it. Andy loved it. They both literally ate twice what they normally would eat...so there you go!


Before I left for work, I started a nice beef roast in the crock pot. 
I added: 
  • 1-16 oz. beer
  • 96 oz. beef broth 
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 package Lipton Onion Soup
This cooked on low from 6 am until 5 pm when I came home.

Remove the beef from the stock (au jus) and let it cool off.

Slice 1-2 sweet onions. In a medium skillet, at 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 pat of butter and onions. Season with a little salt, pepper and sugar. Cook until they just start to soften a little.

Add one sliced colored pepper to the onions and saute until they slightly caramelize. 

Shred beef with a fork.

WMart has these light as air 6 count packs of wheat bolillios that are perfect to build your sandwich with. Since the bread isn't super dense, you actually get to enjoy tasting what you eat instead of just bread.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Split the rolls. Layer beef on one side and onions and peppers on the other. Top the meat with Swiss cheese. Place in oven until cheese is melted and bread is slightly toasted.

Serve up au jus in individual dipping bowls to soak your sandwich with.



Source: Just A Pinch Recipe Club

Comments

Popular Posts