Golabki Cabbage Rolls


A kid who loved cabbage? That would be me. I grew up thinking Momma was calling these gulumpki’s. It wasn’t until many years later, when I found the recipe in our local newspaper (of all places) that I realized the proper name: Golabki (pronounced (É¡aˈwampki). I never was able to get the recipe from her, and it excited me to no end to find it. 

Living in Connecticut as a child exposed us to a different melting pot of ethnic foods. Golabki's are a polish dish and high up on my list of favorites. They're your whole meal rolled up in one nice package.
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 head of cabbage
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1/2 lb. ground pork
  • 16 oz. can of tomato sauce (*or more)
  • 8 oz. can of tomatoes
  • 2 cups cooked rice
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
Remove core from cabbage. scald cabbage in boiling water and remove leaves as they soften.
Saute onions in butter until transparent. Combine with meat, eggs, rice and seasonings. Mix well. Place 2 tablespoons of mixture in center of cabbage leaf and roll. Wrap bacon strips and insert a wooden toothpick to hold together. Arrange in a large dutch oven. Pour tomato sauce over rolls. Squeeze tomatoes and arrange on top of rolls. Simmer over low heat for 2 hours.

I spoke with my sister today and she doesn't have a large dutch oven. No worries. Do what I normally do. Preheat your oven to 350-375 degrees. Place the cabbage rolls in a large casserole dish. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until the cabbage is cooked.
* I like a little extra sauce when I'm eating mine.

Comments

Popular Posts