Grandma's Super Easy Pickles

Cucumbers and onion slices in a plastic bowl
My friend Jody was kind enough to share this recipe with me after she brought me a batch to work. We proceeded to inhale the whole container within days. She got the recipe from Rick's Grandma Ratz. Every time I bring these to work, everyone has a fit over them. They're crunchy and delicious!

When I received my Grandmother's recipe file, she had an almost identical recipe included. One is prepared cold the other requires heating and different storage directions. Grandma Ratz's will keep in the fridge for 3 months. (You'll laugh after you fix them and they're gone in a week!) They both remind you of Bread and Butter pickles, which is what my Grandma called them.

Andy and I have tiny cucumber plants popping up in the garden and I'm counting the days until I can fix a fresh batch of these.


GRANDMA RATZ'S CUCUMBERS 

INGREDIENTS

  • 7 cups cucumbers,
    (6-7 large, 12 small), sliced
  • 1 Vidalia onion, sliced
  • 2 bell peppers, rough cut
I like to soak my cucumbers and peppers in water with a cup of white vinegar to help remove that nasty coating. Using a mandolin slicer makes this job a breeze. SAFETY FIRST! Be very careful!!
Cucumbers soaking in water and vinegar in a stainless steel sink

DIRECTIONS

  • 1
    Put in a large Glad square storage bowl. Sprinkle 2 tbsp. salt over
    vegetables and let sit for two to three hours.
  • 2
    Pour off water and let drain.
  • 3
    Prepare this and let cool while veggie sit while veggies marinate in salt. In a small pan mix: 1 cup white vinegar, 2 cups sugar. Let it heat up and stir so that the sugar dissolves.

    4When cool add 1 tsp. each mustard and celery seed. Blend with drained cucumbers, peppers and onions.
Cucumbers, green peppers and onion slices in a plastic bowl with a lid.
I like the Glad bowl because it lets me safely coat the veggies evenly. Let them sit overnight before eating. If you don't feel comfortable with the seal on your bowl, stir with a large stainless spoon so the veggies get nicely covered.

The will keep in the refrigerator for 3 months---although they’ve never lasted more than a week at my house!

GRANDMA GAUDETTE'S BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES
INGREDIENTS:
4 quarts cucumbers, sliced thin
2 cups onions, sliced
1/2 cup salt
1 tsp. celery seed
2 tbsp. mustard seed
3 cups sugar
4 cups cider vinegar
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Wash cucumbers thoroughly, do not peel. 
  2. Sprinkle with salt. Let stand 3 hours and drain. 
  3. Bring sugar, mustard seed, celery seed and vinegar to boiling point. 
  4. Add cucumber and onions. Heat thoroughly, but do not boil. 
  5. Place in sterilized jars and seal.

Comments

Popular Posts