Lemon Pound Cake

I know ya'll are going to be shocked...Momma finally shared her Lemon Pound Cake recipe with me. Well, almost all of it.* This ranks so high up there on my favorites it isn't even funny. When my Dad was a patient at MD Anderson in Houston, TX the last year and a half of his life; they lived at an apartment complex that offered shuttle service to the Medical District. (I promised him, If I ever hit the lottery, I would set up some type of trust to provide parking passes for families with loved ones in the hospital) There were two bus drivers, Darlene and Albert, who treated my parents with so much love and respect; I knew they had to be angels sent there from Heaven. 



Over time, Momma got Darlene hooked on Sun-Drops and it became mandatory for visitors to bring an ample supply to share. Not for Momma, as she never drank them (she's a Diet Caffeine-Free Coke drinker), but for Darlene and the few her daughter could con out of her. Now that they're nation-wide, I wonder if she sees them and thinks about my parents?


Anyone who knows my Momma (girls at the hair salon, for example), knows how she is about sharing food. She may come strolling through the door with a whole meal just for the heck of it. While in Houston, she made it her business to share Lemon Pound Cake and some of her other treats with the nurses, caregivers and especially Darlene and Albert. She'd fix one for them and of course one for her and Daddy.


CAKE:
  • 1 package Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
  • 1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) lemon instant pudding 
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
CAKE DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour 10" Bundt pan


Combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water and oil in a large bowl. 
Beat at medium speed with mixer for two minutes.
Pour into pan.
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Toothpick inserted in center should come out clean.
Cool in pan for 30 minutes.
Invert cake onto serving plate.
Cool completely.


*************************************
CANNED FROSTING GLAZE*:
1/2 cup Duncan Hines Creamy Home-Style Frosting (favorite flavor)


After Cake cools, heat frosting in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thin. (You can microwave also) Do not overheat!!


OR, MY FAVORITE...

HOMEMADE LEMON GLAZE:
2 cups powdered sugar 
1/4 cup lemon juice
A little hit of lemon extract if it's not lemony-tasting enough!



Drizzle over cake.


*Since Momma is known to not divulge all her secrets...I noticed there was no mention of adding lemon extract to the glaze. I'm here to tell you, her glaze doesn't taste like the heated plain ol' vanilla frosting on the recipe she gave me! It's so lemony, you know it's got the real deal in it.


As a child, I remember her whipping up homemade glaze for everything from oatmeal cookies to just about every kind of pumpkin bread, cakes and more. She always used powdered sugar, milk or the juice of the fruit and a little extract.
*******************************

Comments

Popular Posts