Orange Muffins

Orange muffin with glaze
Last weekend I found this recipe posted on Beth's DEFintely Leopard blog and I pinned it for future use. Today just so happens to be Orange and White game day for the Tennessee Volunteers and I thought this would be a perfect dessert in honor of our favorite SEC team.

A couple of years ago we fell in love with Clementines. They are so easy to peel, have no seeds, and are sweet and juicy. I bought a crate (or so it seems) of them recently and I ended up substituting them for the orange and orange juice. I'm leaving the original recipe as it's listed and listing in orange, (shocker!), what I substituted with.

I believe today was the first time I had broken out the food processor since we made cherry, or was it(?) blackberry wine last summer. To my surprise it was still working. The muffins were pretty easy to make once I got finished squeezing juice out of the Clementines and they had a great flavor.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 orange, quartered and seeds removed (with peel) 
  •   (3 Clementines-I sliced the white core piece out of all)
  • 1/2 cup orange juice (Juice from 6-7 Clementines)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Line a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or baking cups



Muffin tin lined with paper liners
Put orange quarters in food processor with orange juice and blend until pureed
Add egg and butter to orange mixture until blended

Food processor with batter mixture
Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl
Mix orange mixture in with dry ingredients

Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full

Muffin tin and paper liners filled with batter
Bake for 18 minutes (23 minutes in my oven)

Orange muffins in a muffin tin

GLAZE:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp grated orange zest
2 Tbs freshly squeezed orange juice
(4 Tbsp. Clementine juice...so I could drizzle the glaze)

Whisk together until smooth
Spread (drizzle) on warm muffins

I place my cooling rack on a sheet of wax paper so the glaze won't mess up my counter.

Serve warm


Source: DEFinitely Leopard  *post is no longer available

Comments

Popular Posts