Boston Cream Poke Cake

Okay all you chocolate lovers out there...Here's an easy dessert to bake with a delicious topping that will tempt you to go back for seconds! There are several food blogs I like to follow for new recipes to test. This one from Oh, Bite It is definitely a keeper. It needs to be kept in the refrigerator; so you get the added bonus of a COOL dessert to enjoy on a hot day. I found two things I would do differently: Use a 9x12 baking dish instead of what I used. The original recipe called for a 9x9. This one was a little bigger than that, and I almost had too much cake and not enough room for the toppings. Number 2: use a HUGE bowl when making the ganache in microwave. I just about had a lava explosion! However...it's the absolute best I've tasted. I immediately imagined drizzling this over my biscuits the next morning!!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 box Pillsbury Classic Yellow Moist Supreme Sugar Free Cake Mix
  • 1- 4.6 oz. box Vanilla Jell-O Cook and Serve Pudding
GANACHE INGREDIENTS:
  • 1.5 cups sugar
  • 3 tbsp. cornstarch
  • 4.5 tbsp. Hershey's cocoa
  • 1.5 cups boiling water
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tbsp. butter
Prepare your cake mix per the directions on the box.
In a MEDIUM sized bowl, mix sugar, cornstarch and Hershey's cocoa well. Stir in the boiling water and blend well with a whisk. Place in the microwave for 3 minutes on high. I turned my back for like 30 seconds and this stuff started to rise like a cake! Give it plenty of room to grow. Stir several times.  Once it has thickened up, stir in the vanilla and butter. Set to the side with the cake and let it cool a little.

Mix the puddling per the directions on the box.
 With a wooden spoon, poke nice little holes to soak up all that pudding!
Pour the pudding over the top of the cake. I tapped the dish on the counter several times to help it seep into the holes and poured some more until I had a nice smooth coating of "cream". Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes for the cake and pudding to cool down.
Pour the chocolate ganache over the top and place back into the refrigerator until you're ready to devour, eat it.

Comments

Popular Posts