Tuna Salad

We have really enjoyed eating salads throughout this gardening season! The mini sweet bell peppers are finally starting to produce. The lack of rain this summer had me really worried that we would go another summer without fresh peppers. We originally bought these colorful mini-bell peppers at Wal-Mart. We liked them so much we saved the seeds from all three colors of peppers and planted them. The other night I had already planned on making a salad with the last of the cucumbers out of the garden and I was so happy to finally get to add some peppers to it. For the past few weeks, Andy had been talking about wanting to eat tuna salad so I thought I'd whip up a bowl to eat with crackers, on the side of our garden salad.
Typically I won't touch tuna salad unless my Mother or I have made it. I have yet to buy any pre-made or in a restaurant that isn't dripping with mayo; watery or just plain boring. Or worse yet, it's oil-packed and there's oil in it. *Gag* We grew up eating the fancy white Albacore tuna with onion and celery diced up in it. This combination on toasted wheat bread is my ultimate favorite. Andy hates celery. He likes the plain ol' tuna. So I have to compromise a little when I fix it for him. Since it tastes good; I'm not going to fuss.

INGREDIENTS:
  • Large can tuna fish in water
  • 1/4 cup (or more) Pickle relish
  • 2-3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • Hellman's mayonnaise
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Drain the water from the tuna fish. If you accidentally bought the oil-packed version, get rid of the oil! I use a little can colander similar to the one below to squeeze all that liquid out.

With a fork, gently shred the tuna. In a mixing bowl add the chopped eggs, onion, pickle relish and work all ingredients together. Once mixed well, add the Hellman's until you have the consistency you want. I like for my tuna salad to be firm and semi-dry. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let it chill in the refrigerator at least one half hour before serving.

Serve with crackers; on toasted bread, a bed or lettuce and tomato slices or stuffed into a homegrown tomato.

Comments

Popular Posts