Chelsea's Chinese Feast

Note from Denise: A few weekends ago, I sent a text to Chelsea, whom I work with, showing off a pot of "cabbage and sausage stew" I was fixing for supper that night. She, in turn, sent me a few pictures of the feast she was preparing. I was going nuts wishing I was sitting at her table that night! I asked her if she would mind sharing with all of us and happily she agreed. This post contains everything she prepared that night. What I love about it is the fact that it is all very appealing and fairly easy to put together...and what an impression you can make on your dinner guests!

It's so refreshing to run into a twenty-something foodie!!! If it wasn't for my daughter-in-law Amanda (who has shared some of her goodies with us and who will love all of these foods) and Chelsea I was beginning to give up on finding any young ladies who actually cook anymore...let alone are able to put together a full meal.

I'm impressed and I hope you are too! We will be fixing this feast soon. Be sure to bookmark this page for a one-stop Feast!

Chelsea's Chinese Feast

I recommend fixing the cucumber salad and the egg drop soup the day before. I think it makes it better if it sits for a while and lets all the flavors mix together. In my opinion, it's all just as good (maybe even better) the next day...especially the cucumber salad.

For the stir fried veggies I just bought a pack of "Asian Medley" frozen veggies. Included in the mix were snow peas, broccoli, carrots and baby corn. 


For the edamame, which I served as an appetizer, I just bought a bag of the frozen steamers packages you can prepare in the microwave.



I steamed the edamame after all the other food was almost done and then let it sit while everyone enjoyed edamame and egg drop soup.

Chinese Cucumber Salad

5 pickling cucumbers

2 tsp salt 

3 tbs red wine vinegar

1 tbs soy sauce 

1 1/2 tsp sesame oil (I used olive oil because I didn't have sesame oil)

2 1/2 tbs brown sugar

1 tsp ground ginger (just in a jar)

  1. Cut ends off cucumbers, then cut in half, then lengthwise into strips (about 1/4 of a cucumber each)
  2. Place all the cucumber strips in a strainer then sprinkle lightly with salt. Let sit 30 minutes (This will remove excess water)
  3. Whisk together red wine vinegar, soy sauce, oil, brown sugar, and ginger
  4. Pour the dressing over cucumbers in a sealable container and let it sit four hours or over night

Top left: egg drop soup; top right: edamame and bottom: chicken and steak with rice noodles,
stir fried veggies and fried rice.

Egg Drop Soup


Note from Chelsea...This stuff is sooo yummy and the only recipe I have made before. I usually make it anytime I am sick because it is so easy and you can eat it even if you feel terrible.



4 cups chicken broth
    (I used 5 cups water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes--used 5 cups since some would probably boil off)

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1 green onion

1/4 tsp salt

1  tbs cornstarch

3 eggs

  1. Reserve 1/2 cup chicken broth and put the rest into a large saucepan, and bring to a boil
  2. Stir in the salt, ginger, and green onion, and bring back to a rolling boil
  3. In a small bowl, stir together remaining broth and cornstarch until smooth
  4. In another small bowl, whisk eggs using a fork. Drizzle the egg a little at a time into the boiling chicken broth mixture
  5. Stir in cornstarch and broth mixture until soup reaches the desired consistency
Note from Chelsea...Sometimes if I don't have cornstarch I cook this recipe without it. It is still just as good. 

Stir Fry Chicken and/or Steak with Rice Noodles

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (or chicken breast strips, I used these to make them easier to cut)
1 lb steak tips (like for a stew)
3 tbs cornstarch
2 tbs soy sauce
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
3 tbs sesame oil (once again, I used olive oil)
1 cup water
1 tsp chicken bouillon granule (I used one chicken bouillon cube, crushed)
  1. Place chicken and steak pieces (sliced into cubes) into a Ziploc bag
  2. Add cornstarch, toss to coat
  3. Combine soy sauce, ginger, and minced garlic, add to bag and shake well
  4. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes
  5. Meanwhile, soften rice noodles in lukewarm water for 10 minutes, then strain and set aside 
  6. In wok (or large skillet), heat 2 tbs oil, then stir fry chicken until no longer pink (3-5) minutes.(I added steak halfway through so it wouldn't be over-cooked.)
  7. Remove chicken and steak, keep warm 
  8. Add water and bouillon to wok, then return chicken and/or steak to pan
  9. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add rice noodles. Mix all ingredients together then serve.
Note from Chelsea...I used chicken and steak but the chicken was MUCH better than the steak so maybe just put the chicken in the recipe.

Fried Rice 


2 green onions, chopped into fine pieces 

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 tsp salt 

Black pepper, to taste

4 tbs olive oil 

4 cups cold, cooked rice 

1-2 tbs soy sauce

  1. Finely chop green onions 
  2. Lightly beat eggs with salt and pepper
  3. Heat wok (or large skillet), add 2 tbs oil
  4. Add eggs, cook until lightly scrambled. Remove eggs and clean out pan
  5. Add 2 tbs oil, then add rice. Stir fry for a few minutes, using a wooden spoon (or fork) to break it apart.
  6. Stir in soy sauce, as desired
  7. When rice is heated through, add egg. Mix thoroughly.  Stir in onions. Serve hot.



Comments

Popular Posts