Easy Fried Onion Strips

First let me apologize for the lack of pictures. This is one of those sides where your hands are going to get messy and you seem to be in motion the whole time...for the short time it takes to fix these. Andy was wanting fix Sloppy Joes one night to use up some hamburger buns.
With just two in the house, eight is a lot to eat before they ruin. I was good with that, but I really didn't want to eat french fries. So...I thought I'd try my hand at fixing some fried onion strips. We've made the blooming onion before and it was pretty good, so I figured this couldn't be too difficult. I broke out the circa 1980s Fry Daddy and it did the trick.  The only two complaints I have are: I couldn't keep someone from practically eating them as fast as I was fixing them and I remember why we don't do much frying in the house. My cloth purse smelled like we were living in a greasy diner.

INGREDIENTS:
2 large sweet onions cut into chunks and separated.

Dredge:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. Lawry's Garlic Salt with Parsley Flakes
3 tsp. Lawry's Season Salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Dip:
1 egg, beaten
1 cup half & half
I didn't have buttermilk, my first choice, but I  had half and half and it worked pretty decent in a pinch.

Pre-heat your fryer. (Don't overfill the oil! You want room for the oil to bubble when you drop the onions in.)
Soak a large handful in the egg/cream mixture. Coat in the flour/seasoning mixture. Carefully drop the onions into your fryer. Once they start floating, look for any that need turning. Once they are a nice golden brown, remove to a paper towel-lined pan.



Comments

Popular Posts