Healthier Zucchini Lasagne

Raise your hand if you have some weird shaped zucchini growing in your garden that might be just a tad too big. Me! Me! Here's your solution.

When we discussed how we were going to cut down the sugar in our diet you know pasta was at the top of the list and I wanted to cry. I. love. pasta. But, thankfully for Andy, I love him more. My favorite pasta dish is lasagna. I haven't fixed a pan of it in forever. That's because I only know how to fix it one way...way too much! When Andy brought in a couple of odd ball zucchini, I knew I was going to attempt to make a healthier version of lasagna. I left out the ricotta cheese I normally use and backed off to one pound of meat. They'll go back in the next time. This turned out delicious and the zucchini was firm and almost gave you the sensation of eating pasta.

In a large skillet brown 1 pound of Italian sausage (upgrade to 2 lbs. next time--1 each sausage and hamburger) and 1 onion. Spread a little spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish and then pour the rest in the skillet with the meat and onions.
After looking at a zillion cans and jars, DelMonte Four Cheese sauce had the least carbs. I make great spaghetti sauce but I don't think I can shrink the carbs in my sauce that much.
Carefully using a mandolin slicer, slice up your zucchini. I posted the memo after the fact as I did get a nice slice on my thumb. That "food holder" is really useful! Use it!
 Make a layer of zucchini.
 Spoon around 1/3 of the meat sauce mixture over the zucchini and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Keep making layers of zucchini, meat mixture and cheese. Top with remaining mozzarella and shredded Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle a little Italian seasoning on top to add a little more flavor. Cover loosely with aluminum foil. Bake for around 50 minutes. Remove the foil the last 10 minutes or so. Lasagna should be bubbly. Now don't even think about the garlic bread!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts