Mashed Cauliflower Is A Great Potato Substitute

Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and peas...Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans...Thanksgiving turkey, mashed potatoes and giblet gravy...Shepherd's pie...the list could go on forever. If there's one thing I love to eat, it's real mashed potatoes. I have tried the fake ones a few times many, many moons ago but no matter how I "doctored" them up, I never was convinced they were a suitable substitute.

Now that we have a different relationship with the food we eat; I'm not saying I'll never fixed mashed potatoes again. I'm saying I'll just fix a normal amount so that we will only consume regular portions as opposed to vats of creamy goodness. In between that rare occasion, I will gladly substitute in its place equally delicious mashed cauliflower.  Is it exact? No. Could you fool your kids? Possibly. Will my Momma eat it? Oh yes! We have fixed this numerous times and absolutely love it.
 Cut up a head of cauliflower into pieces. Boil or steam (my preference) until tender.
 Drain the water from the cauliflower. Be sure to shake and turn to get as much of the water out as possible.
 With your potato masher, smash the cauliflower until it is smooth with minimal chunks. *I have used an electric hand mixer, but I prefer using a masher.
Add a few tablespoons of butter, sour cream, salt and pepper. Mash in and blend well.
Dig in with a fork and taste. Add additional seasoning to suit your taste.

Comments

Popular Posts