My Quest For the Perfect Pool Room Slaw

You know how you try something and it's so good you can't get that taste out of your head? And nothing else compares? Several years ago, one of our local banks hosted a Hot Dog dinner as a Relay for Life fund raiser. They had little cups of the most delicious slaw to dress your hot dogs with. I could have made a meal out of that stuff alone. Everyone then said it was the famous Pool Hall Slaw that you get on a slawburger in Fayetteville.


Since then, I have wanted to find the best Pool Room Slaw recipe out there and the one I had that day is the only one that will do. I have two or three recipes on the backburner given to us by friends years ago. Do they hold the key to my search? Maybe. Time will tell. All I can say is that slaw was so good, it could be a permanent replacement for my Cucumber Relish . Now that warm weather is sneaking up on us, that means weinie roasts at the river, so I've got to step up my game.

Not too long ago, I was flipping through our Jack Daniels "The Spirit of Tennessee Cookbook" and low and behold, there was this recipe. It even claimed to be the Fayetteville version. Well you know I just had to go get the stuff to fix it. This one is really good, but it's not the same exact Relay for Life hot dog dinner slaw I remember. That one was a deeper gold/yellow and seemed like it was just a little sweeter. This one is a keeper though.

INGREDIENTS:
1 head cabbage
1 sweet onion
1/4 cup sugar
3 teaspons mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
Sweet pickle juice to taste (I use the juice from my homemade Bread and Butter pickles)
First things first. Cut the cabbage into big chunks and then finely chop it. We purchased one of these little contraptions out rambling one day and we love it! It was worth whatever we paid for it and it makes fine chopping veggies a breeze.Those three blades are very sharp, so be careful!
Chop your onion really fine.
In a bowl mix all your ingredients. Stir until everything is well blended. 
Let chill for several hours before serving. This stuff is good on brats, hot dogs, white and pinto beans. 


Comments

Popular Posts