🎄 Rum Balls 🎄

Here it is as promised...FINALLY! When I started working at the library, I heard all about the different events and the numerous contributions Mrs. Pankey (who retired late summer) made to make the events a success. There's no way I can compete with the scale of her efforts as my responsibilities differ than hers (and she epitomized the word dedication) but I can definitely incorporate as many traditions as possible. We recently had our Christmas Quarterly Tea. It appears several of the attendees were very fond of Mrs. Pankey's rum balls. 

I know what you're thinking..."but you aren't a baker!" You've heard me say it numerous times. However, I was willing to try my hand at them. When Brianna handed me a copy of the recipe Mrs. Pankey used, I was all in! No bake...YES!! The recipe Mrs. Pankey used was from  Taste of Home.

I decided to make a batch ahead of time to test as I would need to prepare a triple recipe for this event. Shocker: I had all ingredients except vanilla wafers. Do not buy the mini wafers, You will not have enough in the box. My thinking was they'd be easier to crush. Do not use a mini food processor. You'll be crushing them forever and a lifetime. In a pinch, plain graham crackers are the perfect fill in if you need a little bit more.

These were easy to make, but it did require a little time rolling them out. The taste was good but the rum didn't kick in until just right after you swallowed. The longer they sit,  the more you'll enjoy that kick. ;-) These cookies are fairly soft. The original recipe called to store in an airtight container. I did that in addition to storing in the refrigerator.

As a side note, when the testing was complete and everyone seemed pleased with my offering, I got a little bit of a shocker. One of the young ladies informed me that consuming one of the rum balls was the first time in her life she had consumed any type of alcohol. I apologized to her mother, whom I have known for years, and received absolution from her. We raised our kids to act better than we did and that's all I'll say on that subject.

INGREDIENTS:
2.5 cups crushed vanilla wafers (regular size)
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. baking cocoa
1/4 cup rum (plus) *I used Bacardi 151 white rum
3 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. water
Additional confectioners' sugar to coat the balls

 In a large bowl mix the crushed vanilla wafers, pecans, cocoa and confectioners' sugar.
Stir until dry ingredients are well blended and is clump free.
 Add honey, water and rum to dry ingredients.
 Stir all ingredients. If too wet, add a little more crushed wafers or confectioner's sugar.
Roll into 1" balls. On a large piece of waxed paper spread out confectioners' sugar and coat the balls.
Coat all the balls and store. I put a layer of waxed paper between the layers.

Comments

Popular Posts