Macaroni and Tomatoes



Back in the day I remember thinking macaroni and tomatoes was one of the best side dishes I had ever tasted. Kind of sad but I am a recovering pasta fiend. One of the diners in town served it periodically and I'd always include it as a side. I have no idea how they fixed it and I have yet to replicate it. Now mind you, Momma never fixed it so I didn't have access to a family recipe. This recipe was in my Facebook feed a few months ago and I gave it a whirl. Fix this early enough so it can sit and simmer long enough that the macaroni expands from absorbing all that yummy liquid. If you need to add a touch of water back into the pan, do so.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups elbow macaroni cooked (cooked al dente)
2 cups water
1 tsp. salt
1  (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups V-8 juice
1 tsp. bacon grease (yet another reason to save your drippings!)
1 Tbs. butter
black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Cook two cups of elbow macaroni until almost done. Drain pasta and return to the pot. 
Add all ingredients to pan. 


Simmer until the pasta has softened.


Comments

  1. Is it one cup of cooked noodles (as shown in the ingredients list, or, two uncooked as hinted in the directions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Great catch on the typo. The original recipe called for 1 cup. There was so much liquid, I added additional pasta. Sorry for the confusion.

      Delete
  2. I doubled the recipe so I can feed the family a few days. I added 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning, kosher salt, Parsley, worcestershire and a bit of Soya sauce. It was a more flavorful soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great! You can’t ever go wrong by adding a little extra spice. Happy New Year! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Denise

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts