Crock Pot Dressing

Cornbread dressing in a plastic lined crock pot
My friend Angie gave me a copy of her recipe for crock pot dressing several years ago. Right before Thanksgiving I looked through my "recipes to try" folder and couldn't find it there or in my email recipe folder. The next day our local paper, "Pulaski Citizen" had a Lifestyles feature: "Thanksgiving Dinner...Put Your Slow Cooker to Work." Well glory be, there was a dressing recipe and I was going to give it a try. I didn't have celery so I substituted with celery salt. The paper was torn so I'm not sure how many tablespoons of poultry seasoning you're supposed to use but I used two.

Additionally, it called for 8 slices of bread toasted or day old. I stuck with cornbread only. It's just my opinion, but if there is anything in your dressing besides cornbread, it's not true, Southern dressing. I will leave that to you to make that choice. Now. If my cornbread was running a little low would I use toasted bread? Yes, I would. (But I wouldn't tell anyone!)

Recommendation: If your batter looks a little dry, add a small amount of chicken broth.

INGREDIENTS:
10-inch skillet of cornbread, crumbled fine
1 medium sweet onion chopped
1/2 cup diced celery or 1 tsp. celery salt
2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp. black pepper
4 large eggs, beaten
3 large eggs, boiled and chopped*
2–10.75 oz. cans cream of chicken soup
Stick butter
Poultry seasoning to taste

*The recipe didn't call for hard boiled eggs but I included them as eggs are always part of our dressing. The next time I may add a little bit of chopped turkey or chicken to the mix.

Plastic lined crock pot of cornbread dressing with tabs of butter on top
DIRECTIONS:
Line crock pot with a liner to make clean up a breeze. If you don't use liners, coat the bottom and sides of the crock pot with butter. (You can use cooking spray.)

In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornbread, chopped onion, eggs and seasonings until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk the beaten eggs, and soup. Combine wet and dry ingredients until mixed well.

Pour the mixture into a lined/coated crock pot. Dot the top of the mixture with tabs of butter. I used around 1/2 stick.

I let this cook on low for around 3-1/2 hours and turned the temperature down to warm until we were ready to eat. However, the article said you could cook on high for two hours.

Everyone thought the taste was excellent and I think this may turn into my new go-to for dressing.

Comments

Popular Posts